Saturday, July 16, 2011

Ribbon Wreath For Any Holiday

I fell in love with this wreath at Tatertots and Jello ages ago and sat it aside until my Mom (and her sewing machine) were visiting and we didn't have another project lined up. The weekend before 4th of July was it and after church we bought lots of red, white and blue ribbon to get the project going!
Here tutorial will give you step-by-step directions. You basically buy lots of ribbon. You want various widths, a couple with wire, and all different prints. You then cut the ribbon until strips around 4.5 inches. Then, you sew them into loops.
Those hundreds of loops are then attached to a ribbon covered wreath form. T&J recommends gorilla glue, but that didn't work for me AT ALL. It made a big mess. So, I used straight pins. It secured the ribbon perfectly and went into the styrofoam wreath easily. Don't worry if it looks funky when you first get started. The more you push in the better it starts to look!
T&J's Halloween wreath had a big 31 attached- I went with a patriotic pinwheel instead. I love pinwheels right now and thought it would be a fun addition. Without a 4 on there, I think this could be out for Memorial Day, 4th of July and Labor Day!
If you are loving pinwheels right now too, here are a few more favorites:




I still think I have to make an orange, black, white, purple and lime green version of this wreath in the fall. It was easy, looks cute, and will last for years.