Thursday, February 2, 2012

James and Oranges

I am doing the study of James by Beth Moore at my church on Wednesday nights, like many women across the country likely are. I have never done a formal Bible study through my church. I have done numerous little studies at homes and coffee houses through my Bible life group. It has been nice to have homework that focuses me on the Lord daily and to be with a group of women I have never met before, that are both younger and older than I am.


Many of my friends told me that James was their favorite book of the Bible and I now am beginning to see why. It is very practical, a guide to living if you will. James challenges you to be better, act out, and do it more than you say it. I'm liking him. It has also given me a new favorite scripture:

From Him and through Him and to Him are all things. - Romans 11:36


Last night, I brought cookies to Bible study having never made them before. Brave move :) Luckily, they were fabulous and I came home with just the right number for today and not for days. I could eat them all up! They are thick and soft. They are buttery and full of orange goodness! Here is the recipe, courtesy of Stephanie's Kitchen who I found on Pinterest.




Orange Zested Cookies w/ Sweet Orange Glaze
makes about 2-3 dozen (depending on the size)
2 1/2 cups all purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/4 teaspoon salt
1 cup butter
1 cup granulated sugar
2 tablespoons orange zest
2 tablespoons fresh orange juice
1 egg
For the glaze:
1 1/2 cups confectioners’ sugar
1 tablespoon orange zest
fresh orange juice
In a medium bowl, whisk together the flour, baking powder and salt. Set aside. In a small bowl, mix the sugar and orange zest. Rub together with your fingers until zest is throughout the sugar. The sugar will become moist from the oils being released. Using a mixer, cream the butter and orange zested sugar. Add egg and orange juice. Slowly add the dry ingredients until well incorporated. At this point you can chill for an hour or so or overnight. I was impatient and baked them! Scoop onto a cookie sheet lined with parchment paper and roll into smooth round balls. Bake at 350 degrees for about 10-12 minutes or until very lightly golden on the bottoms. Don’t overbake or they will be a bit to dry and lose the perfect texture.
Mix the confectioners’ sugar, orange zest and enough orange juice to get a glaze consistency and mix until smooth and creamy. Pour glaze over the tops of the cookies and let set.
Feel free to mix up the citruses.  Use lemons or limes instead of oranges, or use some of each.  Delicious!