Wednesday, April 11, 2012

The Famous Ivy Restaurant

My husband and I spent last week in LA visiting friends that moved there about 6 months ago. It was the perfect vacation- we were part tourist and part locals. They knew where to eat, how to get there, and when we wanted to stay in and watch basketball, they knew the best takeout from the big comfy couch. We saw the city, but also relaxed!

I wanted to have dinner at The Ivy. I'll admit I read TMZ and I know lots of famous people frequent there. We struck out on famous people, minus some Dutch pop singer. I did snag a picture with the paparazzi the Dutch singer had hired to photograph her. I never knew it happened like that!


The food was just okay- I drank an Ivy Gimlet and then had the lasagna. But, the decor was magnificent! I had no idea the place had a rustic English garden feel. 


I am a sucker for anything red gingham and loved the big bold Buffalo check on the pillows. Along with the blue plates on the walls, they had bright colored flowers on the tables, at the entrance, on the mantle.... you name it!


It is hard to imagine an old worn out picket fence inside a $40/plate restaurant. I found it refreshing- it wasn't pretentious at all. Well, minus that fact that you had to order "flat water" to get normal water. The assumption is that you want Perrier or carbonation in your water.


If you ever go to LA, totally check out The Ivy on Robertson. It is beautiful inside!