Thursday, June 21, 2012

Rice Art for Kids

I am at my church's VBS this week. I was asked to come up with crafts for 1st - 6th grade and am so grateful for sites like Pinterest that helped me out! One of the crafts kids will be doing involves colored rice and it turned out so cute, I had to share.

You will need vinegar, rice, and food dye.

Using 1 part vinegar to 2 parts rice (i.e. 1/2 c. vinegar and 1 c. rice) mix your vinegar and dye until you get the color you want. I found neon dye at Wal-mart and loved it! Add your rice and let it soak in the color for 5 minutes. 


Drain the rice and lay it out onto a cookie sheet (on your back porch in the Texas sun) until it dries. I was planning this craft for hundreds of kids, so I have been drying rice for weeks :) 


The kids can use the rice in anyway you'd like. For our craft, I looked for ocean coloring pages online, saved the jpeg images, added a scripture and then printed the sheets. This gives the kids a great shape to mimic in their rice.


My daughter did the star above, so this craft is great for toddlers! We applied our glue with a q-tip to minimize the "wet" feel too much glue gives and it worked great!