Monday, July 23, 2012

Massaged Kale Salad


When I met up with Paulina for cooking school I told her I wanted to know what kale is and how to eat it. I had heard so much about it, but I didn't know if it was green or purple, leafy or gourd-like. I was clueless!

So, I quickly learned that kale is not currently in season in Texas. It grows here in the fall, I think. But, our local Whole Foods store carries it so we stopped there on our way home. Kale is like lettuce, but way more beneficial to our bodies. It is low in calories and high in fiber. 

There are a variety of kinds- we bought dinosaur kale to make kale chips and green kale for our salad. More on the chips coming soon!


Because kale is so rich in fiber, it can be hard for our bodies to break it down, so it helps to break it up a little before eating it in raw form, like a salad. After washing the green kale, we placed it in a bowl with a little olive oil, the juice of a fresh squeezed lemon, and coarse sea salt. For about five minutes we tossed the salad, rubbing the liquids and salt into it. 


The kale will darken from the oils and becomes such a pretty shade of green. After you have massaged the leaves, you are ready to turn your bowl of kale into a yummy salad!


For our salad, we simply added fresh white peaches and toasted almonds. We also made a simple sweet homemade dressing from lemon juice, honey, olive oil and pepper. We let it all chill for about 30 minutes and dug in!


The salad might have been my favorite dish of the day. It was sweet and light and so nutritious. I ate a big bowl of it and I will not lie, I had a tummy ache later that day. I think my body was in shock to be eating something so rich in fiber! Super healthy kale!

Up next, kale chips and smoothies!