Friday, August 3, 2012

Grilled Fruit a la Paulina


When Paulina and I were at the Farmer's market the morning of cooking school, we bought the most delicious white peaches from a vendor. I told Paulina that I had a friend that would grill peaches for dessert and that I'd love to know how. So, our cooking school dessert was planned.

I had no idea how easy it was. Cut your peaches in half to remove the pits. Brush a little high heat oil on each side. Grill for 3-4 minutes with the cut side down. Turn over, sprinkle with cinnamon and sugar and cook on an indirect heat source (like the top shelf on the grill) for about 10 minutes. 


We at ours warm with a dollop of greek yogurt and honey on top. Seriously, so stinkin' good!

While outside grilling, Paulina showed me her neighbor's fig tree. I'll admit I have never had a fresh fig. I have had my share of fig newtons, but that is as close to figs as I ever get. So, we ventured under the tree for a little lesson. The fig on the left is an almost ripe fig. Texas figs aren't dark purple like most, but rather a green to purple shade. This tree has hundreds of them! 

Fresh figs from her tree where yummy (like the one pictured at the top). We also tried grilling them. TO grill fresh figs, just place them on your hot grill for a few minutes. When they darken and shrivel, they are ready. These blistered a little which is a sign we were talking too much :).


I love finding a unique way to serve dessert with dinner and in the summer, love that it doesn't involve the oven!