Monday, October 8, 2012

New Handmade Kitchen Towels

When I was at Home Goods a few weeks ago, I bought a 5 pack of black and white kitchen towels. These are light towels, much like a tea towel. I paid $7.99 for the set knowing that I wanted to play with Steam-a-Seam on them. Adding appliques to inexpensive towels make a fun addition to your kitchen or an easy gift with a home cooked meal or jar of homemade jam!

While at Hobby Lobby I grabbed 5 different fabrics I liked with the black and purchased 1/4 a yard of each. I have lots of fabric left over for future applique projects!


Applique is much simpler these days with my small craft iron (purchased at Michael's) and my small ironing pad made by my Mom. It allows me to iron something small without pulling out the big ironing board. She used this fabric on one side, batting in the middle and a cute polka dot on the other side. Here is a tutorial for an ironing mat from a fellow blogger.



Beyond the apple above, I made a Texas with a heart in my region of the grand ol' state! 


This Christmas towel was the simplest since the fabric was all gingerbread men. Super easy!


 I bought the yellow fabric because I loved the pop of color, but then couldn't think of anything fun for it. The rooster was perfect- good morning rise and shine!


 Finally, because I love birdies, I added some love birds. This would be cute as a hostess gift for a couple with a bottle of wine.


Since I can't sew, my Mom will finish these off with a zig zag stitch next time she is in town. You don't have to add the stitch, but I like the finished look it gives and it keeps the patterns on longer.

I don't know if I'll keep these towels or put them in my gift drawer. They are almost too cute to share!