Sunday, February 16, 2014

Mix and Match Egg Muffins

My friend Kati and I had a recent conversation about eating healthier. We both grew up on comfort food and have a "comfort" in making those recipes. It is the ones full of veggies or without cream of something that are harder to recall.

She told me about these egg muffins she makes for her husband each week and I knew I had to make them for Marcus. He grabs string cheese and an apple most days on the way out. These would be similar in calories, but much more filling and protein packed. After one bite he said, "these'll work" and "everyone is going to be jealous". ha!


Mix and Match Egg Muffins
from my friend Kati

The mix and match part of these- you pick the veggies and the meat to go inside of them. Kati recommends spinach, red bell pepper and breakfast sausage. I used bacon, green bell pepper and onion. I can't wait to try other combinations!

1 dozen eggs
4 slices bacon
chopped onion and bell pepper (I used frozen pre-chopped)
garlic salt and pepper
grated cheddar cheese

Chop your bacon up and cook it on the stove. I chop mine before cooking and did about 7 pieces per long slice. Let it cool on a paper towel to absorb the grease.

Preheat your oven to 375 degrees.

Spray a muffin pan generously with Pam.

Fill each muffin pan with 1 teaspoon onion, 1 teaspoon bell pepper, and 2-3 pieces of your cooked bacon.

In a large bowl with a spout, whisk your 12 eggs really well. Pour the eggs over each muffin hole filling it about 3/4 full. 

Sprinkle with garlic salt and pepper and grated cheese.

Bake for 18 minutes.

Let cool and place in baggies of 2 to grab for breakfast each morning!

Delicious!