Sunday, September 22, 2013

Fall Mantle Before and After

I love my fall mantle this year! Believe it or not, I thought I was done with it took photos for the blog and then I saw this pin on Pinterest and ran to Hobby Lobby!

This is my done for real 2013 mantle. Let's look at the couple of things I added, for under $15, that made a big impact!


This was my mantle... garland, ribbon, berry picks, pumpkins in various colors, and a nice family photo. I just knew something was missing. It was all so dark with the wood mantle and the dark fall colors of the garland. Then, that made the clean white family photo just look out of place. Plus, it is an 8x10, but it looked so small with the J and stacked pumpkins on the left side.


Close up, it was beautiful with lots of color and texture. But, from my couch it was missing something!


I made two simple additions for a big impact! The leaves in the pitcher were 40% off of $6.99 which was just my price. I only needed one packet which had 2 stems. They were super full once you fluffed them out. So much cheaper than the leaves at Pottery Barn. Goodness- who can pay $24.50 per stem? I placed them in a pitcher I have had for years from Ballard Designs. It gave the bright color and height that I wanted.


My other addition was the fabric squares. I'll be honest, I didn't sew them, iron them, or even cut them perfect because I was so excited to get them on the mantle! I bought 1/2 yard of each piece of fabric for under $5 each. I folded each piece in half to make an 18" by 18" square and cut diagonally to make two triangles. I set aside for my scrap bin the triangle not cut on the fold. Using the triangle cut on the fold, I opened up the orange triangle to make a really big triangle and placed it in the center. Leaving the two chevron prints folded, I placed them on each side of the orange center and then layered the other items on the mantle.


I am so happy with how it turned out!