Monday, January 22, 2018

What's for Dinner #4

This week is really simple meals and most everything came from my Trader Joe's run. I have found a few staple items from them that I love, so about once every 4-6 weeks we have a TJ week of simple meals. This week involves sickness, travel and a few late afternoons so it was the perfect TJ week.

Meal #1
Chicken Nachos with Homemade Charro Beans
Simple cheese qusadillas

I like making this buffet style and everyone can pile on what they want. We used the shredded chicken I had frozen last week from chicken tacos and added cheese, beans, and pico de gallo. You can add as many toppings as you want- cilantro, guacamole, sour cream.

Homemade Charro Beans
When my Mom comes to visit, she always makes us a big pot of beans and we freeze them in family size side portions. I love her beans, but she hasn't been able to visit recently so I asked my chef friend Kristin for a charro bean recipe. Hers are excellent also and I cooked them all day Sunday.

Bag of Pinto Beans
1 finely chopped onion
3T garlic (I used Dorat frozen cubes of garlic)
pinch of salt
2T tomato paste
32 oz. chicken stock
1 can diced tomatoes
1/2 bunch cilantro
1t cumin
1t salt
1/2t pepper
1t chili powder

Soak a bag of pinto beans in water for 4-6 hours. I dumped these in water before leaving for church and they were ready by mid-afternoon.

In a large pot, saute  onion, garlic and a little salt.

Add tomato paste, stir and cook for 2-3 minutes to soften the paste and spread it through the onion mix. Add chicken stock and diced tomatoes. Stir well.

Add beans, cilantro, cumin, salt, pepper, chili powder.

Cook on low for 4-6 hours or in crockpot on low for 6-8 hours. Stir about every 30 minutes and add water if needed.

Meal #2
TJ Grilled Chicken Sausage
TJ frozen Mac & Cheese Balls
Sauteed brussel sprouts- I like that these are prepped and ready to throw in the pan! We like to mix them with chopped nuts and dried cranberries.



















Meal #3
TJ fresh Beef Ravioli
Green salad
Garlic toast

This is Abby's favorite, so I always get it when I am there!

Meal #4
Brisket Sliders
Baked Potatoes

Making brisket takes forever and usually costs too much or makes too much for us. I will often make my own sides and have Marcus get a 1/2 pound from the local BBQ place on the way home. I thought I'd try this one from TJ this week. It was reasonably priced and will be great on buns or on top of the baked potatoes.


Meal #5
Asian night :)
Frozen vegetable fried rice
Potstickers
Edamame

I love love love Trader Joe's fried rice! You just throw it in the skillet and toss until warm. Combined with frozen potstickers and edamame and you have an easy Asian night!


This isn't a healthy week at all, but it should give you some easy frozen options to stock up on from Trader Joes. 

While you are there, get these. They are my favorite! They taste like a garlic and paprika version of cheddar goldfish. Yummy!