Sunday, January 3, 2010

Birthday Party Welcome Sign

This weekend is my daughter's first birthday party! I have been looking online for party ideas and found this great welcome sign on another blog. She made her sign with a ceiling tile, but I was impatient and didn't want to go to a home improvement store, so I improvised and used styrofoam from Hobby Lobby.
Her 1 is made from a cardboard number sold in the wood area that is covered in scrapbook paper. It used mod podge to attach the paper and a second coat to give it a good glaze. I then glued an Abby Cadabby (her theme) face that I cut out from one of the party hats.

The styrofoam was spraypainted blue and then I used my apply corer to make 2 holes in the top that will be used to hold the ribbon for hanging the sign.

I used inexpensive craft paint for her name and the polka dots.


Since it was styrofoam, I used straight pins to add some beads and sequence to the polka dots.

Next, I used straight pins to attach crazy trim around the outside.Finally, I ran ribbon through the holes punched earlier and tied big knots to keep the ribbon in place. I plan to hang the sign on our front door to welcome our party guests inside the celebration.
This could easily be done for other holidays or celebrations. Overall, it cost under $20 to make a big statement!