Sunday, December 4, 2011

Handmade Christmas: Cherry Lip Gloss

When I saw homemade lip gloss on another blog via Pinterest, I knew it had to be like making homemade marshmallows- more work than necessary for a reasonably priced item you can buy at Wal-Mart! I was certain it would take crazy ingredients that you had to order online. I was wrong!
To make your own flavored and slightly colored lip gloss, melt a tub of Vaseline in your microwave. I ran it for a minute at a time and stirred in between. It took about 5 minutes to full melt.
After it is melted, pour in one small packet of unsweetened Kool-Aid and stir. I used cherry expecting it to be pink and when it dumped in purple I freaked out! As it stirred up, the color lightened a lot!
I then spooned the mixture into my little containers ordered here. They are just 35 cents each and shipping was fast and cheap!

As it cools, it becomes solid again and you can see mine has very little color. Unfortunately, it also had very little cherry scent! I would recommend another Kool-Aid flavor!

You can make a variety of flavors and even add in cake glitter to give your kisser some sparkle.

I then used my Stampin Up scallop edge circle punch to cut out my printed labels on sticker paper. If using a plain circle punch, I think a 1 1/2 inch circle would be best. If you'd like to use the labels I created, they can be downloaded free here.
These little lip glosses are great for young girls- perfect for sharing with lots of friends! The cost to make 10 containers of lip gloss, only $11. Perfect for little friends!