Tuesday, January 17, 2012

Sweet and Salty Salad (and a skinny version)

I love how blogging and Pinterest have made me a more creative cook. When I am looking for new recipes, I don't ever look in my cookbook cabinets, I go online and start playing around. One of my favorite bloggers, Erin from Blue Eyed Bride, shared this pineapple and pretzel salad on her blog in November, and I have craved it since. 



I made it on New Year's Day and it is delicious! It is seriously, so good. The sweet from the cream cheese and the salty crunch of the pretzels- yummo!

I am doing the HCG diet again over the next 3-6 weeks and I will miss this salad. Oh, and bread, pasta, and doughnuts. I obviously have a problem! ha! My husband and I did the HCG diet last Spring and we both lost about 15 pounds in 40 days. It works, but it is hard! We have kept most of it off and are ready to lose 15 more!


Anyway, back to the salad, here is the recipe from Erin. Enjoy!

Pineapple Pretzel Salad
2 cups pretzel sticks, broken into one inch pieces
1/2 cup sugar
1 stick butter, melted
8 oz cream cheese, room temp
1/2 cup powdered sugar
20 oz pineapple tidbits, drained
8 oz cool whip
Preheat oven to 400. Put pretzel pieces in a large mixing bowl. Pour sugar and melted butter on pretzels. Mix until pretzels are coated well. Pour mixture onto a foil-lined cookie sheet and spread evenly. Bake for 7 minutes. Remove from oven, stir and allow to cool. Set aside.
In a large mixing bowl, cream together powdered sugar and cream cheese. Stir in cool whip.
Layer the following in a trifle bowl (or other dish- layers look pretty in trifle bowl!): drained pineapple, cream cheese mixture, pretzels (add this right before serving so it doesn’t get soggy). Best made and eaten on same day.

Now, for the skinny version. Here is what I made:

1/2 can No Sugar Added Mandarin Oranges
3 T Fat Free cool whip
5 Pepperidge Farms Pretzel thins

Drain oranges and pour into bowl. Scoop cool whip on top of oranges. Crush pretzels in your hand and place on top. It is really skinny and a great sweet and salty "treat".