Thursday, March 15, 2012

Custom Subway Art DIY

Remember here when I showed you paint samples and had you guess what room I was planning to paint turquoise? Well, this past weekend, the paint was purchased and is on the walls! I love my new turquoise laundry room! The finished product is here and I love it! I wanted to share my technique for making subway art custom made to match my fabric. This technique is super easy and makes everything come together in a room!

This is the fabric that started it all! It can be found online at fabric.com and is called Secret Garden Paprika by Michael Miller. I knew I wanted a turquoise shade for the room and also wanted some red. I dream of a red washer and dryer! 

When I found this subway art on Pinterest- I loved it! I can't spend much on decor- it isn't in the budget and it is a laundry room for goodness sake! My husband would never understand "art" in the laundry room! I loved the words and design of this one, but I didn't love the colors.
 Here is my recreated subway art to perfectly match the fabric in my laundry room. Looks pretty good, huh? 

Here are the tools you need:

Computer software for handling graphics, fonts, etc. You don't want to use word unless you have lots of time to play with text boxes. I used my digital scrapbooking software- Scrapbook Factory Deluxe. I have had it for years and make so many things with it!

A color HTML tool, like this free one! You simply download the free software, paste your photo and then hover over a color you want the HTML code or RGB numbers for. I grabbed the sample photo of my fabric from the website where I purchased it and used that.

I made my art an 8x10 and printed it on 8.5x11 paper. You type your words, change the fonts and select your custom color. It was easy, free, and looks great!
Blog Widget by LinkWithin
Pin It button on image hover