Thursday, February 17, 2011

Home Goals for 2011

I saw a blogger at the beginning of the year talk about her goals for her home (in a DIY sense) and it got me to thinking about what I want to do to our home in 2011. Hardwood floors has always been the goal and now that it is accomplished, I'm excited to move onto a few more projects.

The first one and super easy one was just accomplished this month. I love this light fixture from Lowe's, but we have a perfectly fine dining room chandelier that matches the entry lighting and I can't justify changing out all three. So, I am took ours down and painted it black. If I totally screwed it up, I'd have bought this one!
I have always loved the comfortable lived in feeling a pot rack gives a kitchen and I'm ready to pick one out! I don't have a clue what size, shape or finish I want, but I'll figure it out in the next few months. We have a nice sized island in the kitchen which is perfect for hanging this above. But first, I need to install knobs on my cabinet doors- that will give me a finish direction. Do I want brushed silver or oil rubbed bronze?
The next two projects will be later in the year- they take more time, work and money! I want a few of my existing cabinet doors to be refinished with a glass window pane front. I have simple white dishes and clear glasses, so the insides are clean and ready to be displayed. I just love the look!
Finally, the big one that will come after my annual bonus, I want to extend out small existing concrete patio into something bigger! I want to stain the concrete and purchase comfortable outdoor seating. With a 2 year old, we spend a lot more time outside than we used to and as she gets more independent we'll want to be with her, but not have to constantly be beside her. Plus, we are discussing a trampoline for her 3rd birthday and that means more fun in the sun!
Goals are good to have! Let's hope I can reach each of these in 2011.