Monday, April 8, 2013

Guest Room Updates

I have always loved a good check. This grey checkered quilt was recently discovered at Target and after thinking about how I would use it for a few days, I bought it. It was under $70 and is great quality. It is soft and already feel worn in. So, I played around in this room during rest time and came up with a room I really love!


I am very blessed to have a Mother and Sister that quilt and a MIL with a long line of quilters in her family. I had previously had a quilt from my husband's grandmother on the bed. The new quilt at the foot of the bed was a gift to my MIL from her Aunt Mable. I love this quilt. It is just so me- I love all the bright colors and the details. My MIL told me that Mable had more money that her own mother and was able to buy fabric for her quilts rather than use leftover scraps from other projects or clothing. So, her quilts were always much thicker. It is a great quilt!


The only thing I bought was the grey checkered quilt. I dug out from under the guest bed (while moving it) my collection or throw pillows and just played around until something worked. Luckily, I had lots of red stored under there since I moved red out of my living room recently.


I added the bee print that once resided in Abby's bathroom since it had a little of the green and blue in it. I have loved that print for many years!


Since there is so much green in the quilt from Mable, I added a green lamp from my office and a frame I had tucked away. I want a mercury glass lamp for my office and hope to try the new spray paint method I have seen online.


I also added the red canvas of Matthew 6:11 to the long wall in the room. It was on clearance at Hobby Lobby and I had a gift certificate from a sweet friend. I originally wanted it in my kitchen, but it is much bigger than the space I had in mind. I do like it in here.



I am going to Round Top for the my central Texas antique show this weekend and I am specifically looking for an old wooden ladder to lean against the wall and hold all of my extra quilts. Fingers crossed I find it!

For reference, here is a picture of the room before the updates were made.